Warthogs have a big dark patch of fur on their back and on the tip of their tail, while the rest of the body is of a lighter shade of brown and with less visible fur. They have a long tail and really small and skinny legs.
A mutant character inspired by the warthog was supposed to appear in the first game, but was later turned into a normal animal enemy.
In Crash Bandicoot, they first appear as animals that Crash can ride on top of in the levels, Hog Wild and Whole Hog to reach the end of the level, dodging spike pillars, natives and other Warthogs being roasted on moving sticks. Warthogs appear also as enemies in the levels set on the collapsing old bridges such as Road to Nowhere and The High Road. They run back and forth and are impossible to defeat. In the N. Sane Trilogy, they can now be defeated only by using invincible Aku Aku or losing one Aku Aku mask.
- Crash Bandicoot; Hog Wild, Road to Nowhere, Whole Hog & The High Road
- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
- Crash Nitro Kart; Tiny Temple
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled; Tiger Temple
- Sometimes, this animal is confused for the Wild Boar but anatomical differences, such as the fur and fangs, can help distinguish the two species.
- They seem to be able to walk on thin air as seen in Road to Nowhere and The High Road.
- In Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, in the level Jungle Rumble, a warthog was originally meant to chase Crash along with several other mammals. Its AI is missing, so it cannot make any movement or pursue Crash in a recreation of the original idea for the stampede chase.
- A warthog was supposed to appear in the cancelled game Crash Landed.
- In the N. Sane Trilogy, when the player defeats one of these hogs in The High Road and Road to Nowhere they fly away a bit, sit down and sticks their tongue out, and then just disappear in thin air.
- This is probably an animation glitch.
Names in other languages
|Running away Hog|
|Known characters||Crash Bandicoot | Cortex | Dingodile | Bandicoots | Coco Bandicoot | Unidentified character | Polar|
|Known items||Frogzooka | Lab Frogzooka Launcher | Lightgate | Orb | Boombat | Bottle Rocket-Launcher | Fertilizer Gun | Anti-Aircraft Gun | Dingodile's cannon | Lab Grow Fist | Gloves | Glow Top|
|Known Enemies||Wasp | Nite Creatures | Small Floating Robot | Thug Bot | Living Flower | Unnamed Sea Urchin-like Creatures | Stench | Scorporilla | Frog | Hog | Hyena | Squid|
|Hybrids||Bandicoot-Shark Hybrid | Alligator-Turtle Hybrid | Giraffe-Turtle Hybrid|
|Locations||Rocky Island | Black Rock Island | Swamp | Underground Caverns | Tree Island | Shipwreck Island | Cortex's Lab | Mountain Island | Flower Island | Rock Formation Islands|