RE: Interlanguage Wikis
- I'd say a topic in the forums would be better. ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 01:51, September 9, 2017 (UTC)
I would say that script pages are a great idea, as they're useful as research (can't always boot the game or scrounge through cutscenes to find that specific line to help write an article) and as a way of sourcing content. I've worked extensively on the script pages on the J&D Wiki (see: here for a list) and can confidently say that they'll cost a big damn chunk of time. Editing an already existing script from GameFAQs can be preferable, though you'd likely have to practically do it from scratch to catch any mistakes.
At least I guess the Crash series should, afaik, be relatively easy due to a lack of real dialogue (or worse, text outside cutscenes). Know that if you're serious about doing this that we'll be here to help. --Tim H – Talkpage 18:44, July 28, 2018 (UTC)
To add on to Tim H's comment: our script pages on the Jak and Daxter Wiki are some of its most visited pages, according to w:c:jakanddaxter:Special:Insights/popularpages, not to mention useful as citations. Also, the main Crash series wouldn't take long to write pages for at all, especially when Crash 1 literally only has one cutscene, and on Cortex line at the start of his boss battle, while 2 and 3 similarly only have three real cutscenes (opening, ending, 100% ending) and a few lines of dialog in warp rooms. So I'm strongly in favor of script pages, and willing to help out with them.--V Technobliterator TC 19:02, July 28, 2018 (UTC)
- Er, can I just address all of you here? Going to different talk pages to converse, especially with more than two people, could get rather confusing. N. Harmonik (talk) 00:34, July 29, 2018 (UTC)
- Could the transcripts be detailed with actions and descriptions please? N. Harmonik (talk) 01:46, July 31, 2018 (UTC)
- I would advise not to, they're unnecessary as the focus is on what the characters say, transcripts are primarily used for citing sources, not to translate the entire game into words for people. Any actual action worth sourcing should be done with the use of images (plus if anyone actually wants them for more than just dialogue they ought to play the games / watch the cutscenes.) To add, it tends to create script bloat with people continuously adding their own flavor crap and overly descriptive stuff. --Tim H – Talkpage 18:58, July 31, 2018 (UTC)
- I don't know, I've seen transcripts for entries from other franchises that have descriptions of actions and such, like Halo 2, Ghostbusters: The Video Game and Steven Universe. Besides, given that Crash doesn't talk, describing his expressions and actions seems essential to me. N. Harmonik (talk) 23:47, August 2, 2018 (UTC)
- Might be in rare occurrences you neat to add something like (Crash does X), to avoid making the script seem like it's missing stuff, but even then it'd be a case-by-case thing. Script pages should really just be about the script, nothing more nothing less. Btw this includes both spoken words and on-screen text, assuming it's relevant and not just background noise. --Tim H – Talkpage 14:00, August 3, 2018 (UTC)
- Well, those too. Um, that's Nina's last line. N. Harmonik (talk) 18:12, August 5, 2018 (UTC)
- When I typed "Nina's next line", I meant the line after the end of my incomplete transcript. Sorry. N. Harmonik (talk) 18:38, August 5, 2018 (UTC)
- So, uh, what sort of pages would the transcripts be like? Like /Gallery? N. Harmonik (talk) 02:12, August 7, 2018 (UTC)
- Can omit the use of 'Doctor' for Cortex, unless that's somehow canonically his first name (funny if true). Tbh can do without the (and then this and that happens) descriptions, since it's supposed to be a script and not a written version of the game/cutscene etc. You should ask the folks in either mine or the Bandipedia discord to help figure out the unintelligible lines, I ain't native English so it's not my expertise. --Tim H – Talkpage 14:53, August 9, 2018 (UTC)
- I went to Bandipedia's Discord but I don't know where to discuss this! N. Harmonik (talk) 00:35, August 13, 2018 (UTC)
- Meh. You are not the first to assume I'm male and you won't be the last. N. Harmonik (talk) 00:35, August 13, 2018 (UTC)
I think your script transcribing idea is great. Go for it!
Also, I think my sister and I can help you with transcribing Crash Bandicoot games 2 through four. We are cutscene-obsessed and have excellent memories, and my sister is a young writer, so she's good with grammar. Recruit us and we will be great assets!
- Very well. Please come to the Discord that's on Bandipedia's front page. N. Harmonik (talk) 22:49, August 14, 2018 (UTC)
Actually, N. Harmonik, I'd rather not because my sister and I don't feel comfortable using Discord anymore. Can't explain it. Plus, I heard there's a virus circling around on there. Sorry. Can we keep talking through the Talk page? Also, It may take me a week or so to complete the article since my sister and I are very busy. That okay?
PS: Just read your "Have Another" transcript in the sandbox. Love it!
I think we should do Crash 2 first because, well, it has more verbal lines than Crash 1. The others can do the first crash. Dunno, I'll play around in the sandbox and see what I can see.