That Sinking Feeling (かいぞくせんを やっつけろ！ lit. Attack the Pirate Ships! in Japanese) is the ninth level and is the fourth level of the second warp room in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. Just like Tornado Alley in the previous chamber, it is via air. However, this time, it takes place in a island surrounded by a volcano and a fleet of ships. Here, Crash uses an unusual flying vehicle called the Firefly. It is the only time the firefly is used in the game.
- Wait until the target locks. Don't quickly press until the target is locked onto. Release the button to shoot missiles.
- Some of the enemy planes are trying to smash Crash. Beware! They cause large damage.
- Don't use the missiles for shooting planes. Instead, shoot the anti-air craft turrets.
- When Crash's health drops, quickly shoot a health balloon.
- Sometimes the regular balloons give lives.
- Interestingly, the Crash Glider was originally going to be used in this level instead of the Firefly. It was actually a separate version of the glider coded with the same lock-on system as the Firefly. It can be found in the final version through hacking.
- Out of all four shooting levels in the game (the others being Tornado Alley, Crashteroids and the boss level Atmospheric Pressure), this is the only level in which the player can be instantly killed (if they bump into a ship).