Prepare the female bandicoot!Doctor Neo Cortex, Crash Bandicoot
This time, no one will catch me.Tawna Bandicoot (Her very first words), Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
Tawna Bandicoot  (commonly shortened to just Tawna) is a character from the Crash Bandicoot series. She is Crash Bandicoot's girlfriend who has appeared prominently in four Crash games: Crash Bandicoot, Crash Boom Bang!, the N. Sane Trilogy remake of the first game, and Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. She has cameo appearances in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Crash Twinsanity.
In the first Crash Bandicoot game, after being captured, she became another creation of Dr. Neo Cortex and Dr. Nitrus Brio. Crash escapes, falling out a window and waking up on N. Sanity Island. Driven by anger that the doctors still have his girlfriend, he decides to thwart Cortex's plans and rescue her. Tawna is used as bait throughout the game, with Tawna Tokens appearing throughout the various levels. Upon collecting three tokens, Crash is teleported to a bonus level with Tawna waiting at the end, before she is swept away from him again.
Once Crash has collected enough gems, he can make his way through The Great Hall and be reunited with her on the balcony that awaits. The two then fly away on a large bird. After Crash defeats Cortex, he is also reunited with Tawna upon the blimp. The couple take the airship and fly into the sunset.
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex no Gyakushuu!
In the Japanese manual for Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, it is stated that Crash and Tawna broke up leading to her dating Pinstripe, explaining her absence in the game. This is meant to line up with the manga (which was released at the same time). This tidbit is completely absent in any other version of the game, and has never been confirmed by Naughty Dog either, meaning it's exclusive to the Japanese lore of the game.
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped and Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
A picture of Tawna can be spotted in the Bandicoot House on the fireplace, meaning that she and Crash are still staying on good terms with each other.
Tawna only makes a cameo appearance as a picture that appears on the sign of Moulin Cortex. In a deleted scene, Dingodile was going to have dinner with Tawna in his cabin as opposed to just reading a book.
Crash Boom Bang!
She is an unlockable playable character in the game, making her first proper appearance in a Crash game since Crash Bandicoot and her first appearance as a playable character.
Crash: Mind Over Mutant
Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
Tawna reappears in the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. She is shown as more competent, beating down a lab assistant before being captured in Cortex's castle. She also manages to briefly escape Cortex before being captured again at the end of the Tawna bonus levels.
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
Tawna makes an appearance in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled as a reward in the game's first Grand Prix which launched on July 3rd 2019. She appears alongside Isabella, Megumi, Ami and Liz to form the Nitro Squad. CTR Nitro Fueled is the first game to feature Tawna with a voice, revealing her to be a tough, no-nonsense woman determined to win no matter the cost, or the enemy. Completing the Grand Prix also grants her an alternate motorsport-themed costume, which seems to grant her energized power.
- Speed: 4/7
- Acceleration: 7/7
- Turning: 3/7
- Difficulty: Intermediate
Tawna is mentioned several times and makes cameos in Dansu! De Jump! Na Daibouken. When Crash wakes up to see where Tawna is, he finds a note saying that she's gone off with Pinstripe. She is seen when Crash is daydreaming about being irresistible and saving the world. When Crash is crying about Tawna, he mistakes Coco (who visits) for Tawna. Her design is different in the manga, looking more like an anime female than her bandicoot design.
Tawna is significantly taller than Crash, her blonde hair and breast size being based off of celebrity Pamela Anderson. She has orange fur, cream skin and a small, blonde tail. Her clothing consists of a red, sleeveless shirt, blue shorts, red socks and sneakers identical to Crash's. In Crash Boom Bang, her shirt was changed to a pink top.
In the N. Sane Trilogy and CTR Nitro-Fueled, Tawna's shirt is now magenta and features a white outline of Crash's mug, her skirt has been changed to denim shorts and her socks are white. Her design is also altered a bit, having a smaller chest and hip size, and a more proportionate body shape.
- She is often referred to by players as "Tawna Bandicoot", but this full name has never been officially used prior to the character selection menu in Nitro-Fueled, where she is labeled as "Tawna Bandicoot" while in her default attire.
- If the deleted scene in Crash Twinsanity was taken into consideration, Tawna would have had a relationship with at least 3 other characters in any iteration of the Crash Bandicoot series: Crash Bandicoot, Pinstripe Potoroo and Dingodile.
- According to Naughty Dog, Tawna's design was based off celebrity Pamela Anderson, for her blonde hair and breast size.
- Tawna is shorter in Crash Boom Bang!.
- After Crash Bandicoot, Naughty Dog removed her from the series as Universal Interactive wanted her to be redesigned as they felt she wasn't appropriate for a child friendly game. Sony also wished for her removal, according to character designer Charles Zembillas, which led to the introduction of Coco Bandicoot for future titles. She was eventually redesigned for the N. Sane Trilogy, which was developed by Vicarious Visions. This same design reappears in Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled.
- Just like the other major characters from Crash 1, Tawna had her own description in the original game's production bible (named Willy the Wombat Production Bible). Her description there reveals that she was much more than just "a simple damsel in distress" during the game. She spent her time trying to make things worse for Cortex, among other things her attempts to "reason with N.BRIO" and "fomenting revolution among CORTEX's henchmen. TAWNA is a force to be reckoned with". Her description tells us that she's a strong and bold woman who cannot be ignored. This also tells us that she could (most likely) be the reason that Brio finally stood up for himself and left Cortex (who abused him in the first game) and then worked against him in Crash 2. In that case, she could also be the reason that Cortex is without his minions in the same game.
- This actually makes Tawna (despite her few (so far) physical appearences in the series) one of the most important sidekicks in the original games.
- The Japanese ending of Crash Bash has Crash mistake a hologram created by Coco to be Tawna. The hologram itself resembles Isabella and was intended to look like Coco reimagined as an adult.
- She was the first female character to appear in the series.
- Tawna was originally named Karmen.
- Tawna's skirt was originally green before they changed it to a dark blue. Her muzzle also had no skin tan, her entire face being orange furred. In-game artwork of her can be seen in levels such as The Great Hall in her original color scheme. She was also originally wearing high heels in her concept art.
- Tawna is mentioned in unused dialogue for Cortex in Crash Tag Team Racing.
- She never had any dialogue at all since her first appearance (though she has gameplay grunts in Crash Boom Bang and can be heard gasping in the opening cutscene of N. Sane Trilogy). She officially makes her speaking debut in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.
- Like the rest of the Nitro Squad in Nitro-Fueled, Tawna has an associated Paint Job seen in marketing screenshots. This Paint Job was not on the selection screen prior to the Back N. Time Grand Prix, even though the AI drivers would use it randomly.
- In Skylanders Academy, she was mentioned in the episode called The Skylands Are Falling! when Crash says that he's going to find her and save the world from Dr. Cortex, although Crash refers to her as his friend as opposed to girlfriend.
|Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled|
|Racers|| Default: Crash Bandicoot | Doctor Neo Cortex | Tiny Tiger | Coco Bandicoot | Doctor N. Gin | Dingodile | Polar | Pura|
Unlockable (Bosses): Ripper Roo | Papu Papu | Komodo Joe | Pinstripe Potoroo | Nitros Oxide
Unlockable (Misc.): Penta Penguin | Fake Crash | Doctor Nefarious Tropy
Pit Stop Purchases: Crunch Bandicoot | Krunk | Small Norm | Big Norm | Nash | N. Trance | Real Velo | Geary | Zam | Zem
Grand Prix Limited: Tawna | Ami | Megumi | Liz | Isabella | Baby Crash | Baby Coco | Baby T | Spyro the Dragon | Hunter | Gnasty Gnorc
|Supporting characters||Aku Aku | Uka Uka | Chick | Stew | Sparx | Velo Mask|
|Kart Sets|| Default: Classic|
Unlockable: Team Bandicoot | Team Trance | Team Cortex | Team Oxide | Hovercraft
Pit Stop Purchases: Cabrio | Crikey | Deadinator | Doom Buggy | Imperium | Roadster | Six-Pipes | Trikee
Grand Prix Limited: Le Chaux | Bandibuggy | Champion | Rocket | Probulot 2000 | Nostalginator | Mammoth | Spyromobile | Gnasty Ride | Dragonfly
|Customization||Skins | Bodies and Decals | Wheels | Paint Jobs | Stickers|
N. Sanity Beach: Crash Cove | Mystery Caves | Sewer Speedway | Roo's Tubes
|Battle Arenas|| Original: Skull Rock | Nitro Court | Parking Lot | Rocky Road | Lab Basement | Rampage Ruins | The North Bowl|
From Crash Nitro Kart: Temple Turmoil | Frozen Frenzy | Desert Storm | Magnetic Mayhem | Terra Drome
|Collectibles||Trophy | Crystal | Gem | Relic | CTR Token | Key | Wumpa Coin|
|Power Ups||Missile | Bowling Bomb | Warp Orb | TNT Crate/Nitro Crate | Power Shield | N. Tropy Clock | N. Brio's Beaker | Turbo | Invisibility | Super Engine | Invincibility Mask (Aku Aku/Uka Uka/Velo Mask/Sparx)|
|Misc.||Pit Stop | Grand Prix (Nitro Tour | Back N. Time | Spyro & Friends)|
|Crash Bandicoot Racing Series Playable Characters|
|Crash Team Racing||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Dingodile | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Nefarious Tropy | Doctor Neo Cortex | Fake Crash | Komodo Joe | Papu Papu | Penta Penguin | Pinstripe Potoroo | Polar | Pura | Ripper Roo | Tiny Tiger|
|Crash Nitro Kart||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot | Dingodile | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Nefarious Tropy | Doctor Neo Cortex | Fake Crash | Geary (GBA only) | Krunk (GBA only) | Nash (GBA only) | N. Trance | Nitros Oxide | Small Norm (GBA only) | Big Norm (GBA only) | Polar | Pura | Spyro the Dragon (GBA only) | Tiny Tiger | Fake Velo (GBA only) | Real Velo | Zam | Zem|
|Crash Tag Team Racing||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Neo Cortex | Ebenezer Von Clutch | Nina Cortex | Pasadena O'Possum|
|Crash Racing||Crash Bandicoot | Doctor Neo Cortex | Nina Cortex | Pasadena O'Possum|
|Crash Nitro Kart 2||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Doctor Neo Cortex | Nina Cortex | Nitros Oxide | Ripper Roo | Tiny Tiger | Yaya Panda|
|Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Dingodile | Doctor Neo Cortex | Nitros Oxide | Polar | Ripper Roo | Yaya Panda|
|Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Neo Cortex | Nina Cortex | Pura | Ripper Roo | Tiny Tiger | Yaya Panda|
|Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled||Crash Bandicoot | Doctor Neo Cortex | Tiny Tiger | Coco Bandicoot | Doctor N. Gin | Dingodile | Polar | Pura | Penta Penguin | Ripper Roo | Papu Papu | Komodo Joe | Pinstripe Potoroo | Fake Crash | Nitros Oxide | Doctor Nefarious Tropy | Crunch Bandicoot | Krunk | Small Norm | Big Norm | Nash | N. Trance | Real Velo | Geary | Zam | Zem | Tawna | Ami | Megumi | Liz | Isabella | Baby T | Baby Crash | Baby Coco | Spyro the Dragon | Hunter | Gnasty Gnorc|
|Crash Bandicoot Party Series Playable Characters|
|Crash Bash||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Dingodile | Doctor Neo Cortex | Doctor Nitrus Brio | Fake Crash (Japanese version only) | Koala Kong | Rilla Roo | Tiny Tiger|
|Crash Boom Bang||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot | Doctor Neo Cortex | Fake Crash | Pinstripe Potoroo | Pura | Tawna|