Ah, yummy! Fresh meat for my pot!Rusty Walrus, Crash Twinsanity
Rusty Walrus is a genetically enhanced walrus who appears only in Crash Twinsanity. He works for Doctor N. Gin as his battleship's cook. Rusty is voiced by Dwight Schultz in the English version, and by Hajime Iijima in the Japanese version of the game.
Not much is known about Rusty. What is known is that he is a chef under the employ of Dr. N. Gin (as depicted from his apron). After Crash defeats N. Gin, the platform the fight took place on collapses. Crash falls and crashes through the desk of the ship, landing in a corridor. Rusty appears from another room, declares Crash to be his next meal, and begins chasing him. The chase that ensues is much like the traditional boulder dash levels of previous games. Obstacles include holes in the floor (which strangely Rusty walks over some of them), Nitro Crates (which Rusty is surprisingly immune to) and burning-hot steam. After the chase, Crash escapes.
It is unknown what became of him after N. Gin accidentally set off the major TNT explosion, but since he was immune to the nitro crates, he was probably immune to the TNT's explosion.
His theme music is an acapella version of the Hebrides Overture.
Despite not appearing as a playable character as of yet, Rusty has two cameos in Nitro-Fueled on the track Megamix Mania, which takes place in and around N. Gin's battleship. The first is a portrait of him spray-painted on the hull of the ship, with his name written next to it. The second is an imprint of him on a wall inside the ship, referencing him running into closing doors during his chase in Twinsanity.
Little of Rusty's personality has been explored given his limited appearance. What is known is that he is a very violent and aggressive individual, and his only goal seems to be catching "fresh meat" for his pot. He isn't unable to be reasoned with however, since N. Gin managed to hire him as a cook on his battleship. Rusty doesn't seem especially intelligent, speaking quite simply. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between non-sapient animals and intelligent life, hunting down Crash to eat him like a wild animal. This could be another sign of his low intelligence, or he could be aware of this fact, simply not caring about other's lives.
Rusty is a large, tall sky blue mutant walrus. He has a beige belly and muzzle, black eyes, a tiny black nose, thick white claws on his hands and feet and long white tusks. He wears a white chef's hat and a small white apron with N. Gin's jolly roger style symbol that he used while being a pirate on it. He is always seen carrying an oversized meat cleaver with a wooden handle.
In Twinsanity, N. Gin hired Rusty to be a chef for his crew on his battleship during his brief stint as a pirate. They haven't been seen interacting, but Rusty seems loyal to N. Gin, wearing an apron with his symbol on it.
As soon as he set eyes on Crash, Rusty was determined to hunt him down and cook him up for lunch. He doesn't care at all about who Crash is as a person, simply referring to him as "naughty meat". Crash would obviously rather not be a meal, giving him a bad relationship with Rusty to say the least.
See: Rusty Walrus/Gallery
- Rusty's full name is an homage of the famous NASCAR driver Rusty Wallace.
- Rusty, like all chase level characters, are immune to hazardous level objects such as Nitro Crates.
- There is a glitch in his chase where if Crash spins to his side he will be behind Rusty, making the chase easier, as he will run into all the Nitro Crates on that floor.
- Rusty was intended to appear in Twinsanity's cancelled sequel in a cooking show, where he would have chased Crash again.
- Rusty appears in concept art for a cut level where Nina had to climb a large tree.
- In the NTSC-J version of Crash Twinsanity, Rusty can sometimes run into the walls and get stuck in them.
- In the Japanese version of Crash Twinsanity, he is simply named Walrus (ウォーラス Wōrasu).
- Rusty was originally going to be a full boss, but was reduced to a simple chase sequence due to time contraints.