Road to Ruin (まよいの はいきょ lit. Ruins of Illusion in Japanese) is the fourteenth level and the fourth level of the third warp room in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. It is somewhat similar to the city ruin-themed levels from the first game, specifically The Lost City and Sunset Vista, though this time it takes place at night.
Enemies and obstacles
- Possum - These possums will appear abundantly throughout the level, and usually remain motionless when Crash comes across them. He can defeat them easily by spinning them away or jumping on them. Sometimes, they will appear on rotating platforms, making it harder to avoid them and jumping on the platform at the same time.
- Monkey - These monkeys will attack by jumping back and forth along the path. They are usually seen jumping over nitro crates and TNT crates. Crash can defeat them by jumping on them while they are on the ground or spin them away.
- Lizard - These lizards simply walk back and forth, causing Crash to lose a life if he touches one of them. They cannot be defeated with Crash's normal spin or jump because of the frill they have, protecting them, but rather by sliding into them.
- Gorilla - These gorillas attack Crash by throwing logs at him. He can avoid these logs by either spinning them away when they approach him, or by jumping over them. Crash can defeat the gorillas by spinning them away when he gets close to them.
- Fire-Breathing Tiki - These statues attack Crash by venting flames out of their gaping mouths. Crash can avoid them by either jumping over their line of fire or by waiting until they momentarily cease their fire breath. Some of the tikis pan across the pathway, while others are face one direction and are still.
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- Spike Lizards can only be defeated with sliding.
- A fake dead end exists in Slop-slop Underpass.
- Have you got the red diamond? Then go to the direction of Disks on the Snow Mountain!? for good luck.
- If you want to meet the boss again, ride on the elevator in the Warp Room while pressing and holding the green triangle button.
- The level's name is a reference to the idiom 'on the road to ruin.'
- As with Ruination, the Cortex Island can be seen in the background.
- It is possible to reach this level's secret area using glitches.
- This level only has four nitro crates, all located in the secret area. Unlike Turtle Woods and Hang Eight, the nitro switch appears along the main path of the level, as there were originally going to be Nitro Crates on the main path of the level.
- This level and Air Crash are the only levels in the game which have two alternate routes (both a secret entrance and a death route).
- This is one of the three levels in the game that is dark but still has light, and the others being Ruination and Totally Bear.
- In the secret area, there is a wumpa fruit above a crate indicating a TNT crate is underneath. This wumpa was removed in N. Sane Trilogy, but then added back via update on June 29, 2018 (which coincided with the release on other platforms).
|Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy|
|DLC Content||Crash Bandicoot: Stormy Ascent|
Crash Bandicoot: Warped: Future Tense