Get ready to race for the fate of your planet!Nitros Oxide, Crash Team Racing
Nitros Oxide (Nitrous Oxide in Crash Nitro Kart, or N. Oxide or simply Oxide) is an alien from the planet Gasmoxia who serves as the main antagonist of Crash Team Racing. He first appeared in Crash Team Racing and his latest appearance is in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.
Crash Team Racing
Nitros Oxide was first seen in Crash Team Racing when he came to Earth to challenge the planet's people to a racing contest he called "Survival of the Fastest". He said that if Earth's inhabitants won the contest then he would leave Earth alone, but if he won he would turn Earth into a giant concrete parking lot and enslave the inhabitants of the planet. Earth's champion racer (who could be one of the following chosen characters: Crash Bandicoot, Doctor Neo Cortex, Tiny Tiger, Coco Bandicoot, Doctor N. Gin, Dingodile, Polar or Pura) was able to defeat Oxide and then again after collecting the time relics. He went back to Gasmoxia in shame. As stated in the credits, after years of therapy, Nitros Oxide began to race again, but he chose the unicycle as a vehicle and apparently wound up in a grotesque accident. His hovercraft is neon green.
Greetings, creatures of this planet, I've come to compete. So you pesky Earth-slugs like to race, eh, hehehehe. Well I, Nitros Oxide, am the fastest racer in the galaxy. I travel the stars looking for creatures to test my skills. It's a little game I call Survival of the Fastest. Here's the way we play: I challenge the best driver of your world to a race for the planet. If your driver wins I'll leave your miserable little rock alone. But if I win I'll turn your entire globe into a concrete parking lot and make you my slaves. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Get ready to race for the fate of your planet!Nitros Oxide, Crash Team Racing
During his boss fight, he has an infinite supply of weapons, using all of the weapons used by the previous three bosses. He also appears in Time Trial mode as a staff ghost character that can be challenged after beating Doctor Nefarious Tropy's ghost on any given track. Beating the Oxide ghost will mark the track with a platinum star on the track select screen for Time Trial. Getting platinum stars on all 18 tracks will unlock the ability to view the Naughty Dog scrapbook from the main menu at any time.
In Crash Bash, he appeared again as the final boss. He was on his way home to Gasmoxia until running into this planet, and noticing Crash and his friends. He fights the player in his space craft during a chase section, and then lands on a world that much looked like the Futuristic levels of Crash Bandicoot: Warped, in which you must stop him in a challenge like the Ballistix levels. He is much more violent in this appearance, attempting to outright destroy his opponents rather than simply outrace them.
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
When the logos are shown at the start of the game, he is seen flying through space, possibly flying back to Gasmoxia.
Crash Nitro Kart
Later, he was seen in Crash Nitro Kart racing for Emperor Velo the 27th on Team Oxide, alongside Zem, Zam and Velo himself. Oxide returned to get revenge on Crash and his friends, bringing his allies Zam and Zem into the fray. It's implied that Oxide may have been the one who informed Velo of Earth's racing prowess in his pursuit of vengeance. This was his first official playable appearance. Strangely whenever he is on the trophy podium when he wins, he dances with a cane while wearing a top hat, similar to Ripper Roo.
In Crash Twinsanity, he appears as a cameo, and is one of the villains at Crash's "birthday party", arriving in his hovercraft from Crash Team Racing.
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D
Oxide is one of the main antagonists along with Dr. Cortex and Ripper Roo in Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D as well as a playable character by unlocking him. Even though his icon looks like his CTR icon, the design of Oxide has drastically changed in appearance as he doesn't wear any clothes and the head is modeled to look more narrow.
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
Nitros Oxide returns in the remake, now as a playable character. He is unlocked from the start in the Nitros Oxide Edition of the game along with a special skin. Like all other CTR bosses, Oxide will be unlocked upon his defeat. The size of Oxide appears to have been reduced compared to the original game and he now drives his hovercraft with a steering wheel instead of joysticks. These changes were made because of his aforementioned playability. Oxide's signature hovercraft can also be unlocked and piloted by any character, though its signature green paint job is only available after getting one-hundred percent completion. During his boss fight, Oxide will now suffer the full effect of stronger items such as Nitro Crates, Bowling Bombs and Missiles, rather only being sent spinning for a short duration. He also uses the Velo Mask now (added later on in a patch) instead of Uka Uka.
In the Gasmoxian Grand Prix, Oxide hacks into CTR TV's broadcast to deliver information about the Grand Prix instead of Chick and Stew. He is also responsible for inviting Emperor Velo XXVII (robot form) to the roster.
Driving Style: Acceleration
Nitros Oxide, although very brave, is a very sore loser and has a short temper. He aligns himself with most of the other aliens and he is the fastest racer in the galaxy. Like other villains in the Crash Bandicoot series he also has a strong interest in world domination. He has an obsessive love for speed, explaining why he deserves to rule Earth for his fabulous talent of racing. Although his age is unknown, he hints after his second defeat in CTR that his slowness is due to his old age. As shown in the final race against him in CTR, he is not above cheating and playing dishonourably, proven as he starts racing before the countdown and uses otherwise impossible combinations of items. Despite his bad temper and tendency to cheat, he is a man of his word as he left the Earth in peace without argument after he is beaten by the player character. He competes once more against the racers of Earth in CNK along with Zam and Zem, demonstrating that he is not a quitter and does not always work alone.
Nitros Oxide is a green alien who seems to resemble a mantis. Oxide is very tall and has a skinny, droopy snout similar to an elephant trunk with yellow stripes across it, sharp, pointy teeth and darker green lips. He has a large head with yellow stripes going up from the tops of his eyes (slightly resembling the carapace of a green June beetle), and yellow-orange sacs on the sides of his head. He has black eyes with yellow scleras, red-orange eyebags and thick dark brown eyebrows. He is a cyborg, having some sort of engine attached to his back with exhaust pipes coming out of the back of his head. He wears a strange purple suit which has a popped collar, an odd orb attached to the chest, large chunky cuffs, and no legs, revealing that he has two pairs of legs.
In Crash Bash, the exhaust pipes on his head are much longer, being visible from the front.
In Wrath of Cortex, his cuffs are incorrectly coloured the same as his skin, making him appear to have very fat forearms.
In Crash Nitro Kart, his head is thinner and has only one exhaust pipe coming out of it. His neck is also much longer and thinner, and the yellow markings on his head come out of the sides of his eyes rather than the top.
His Twinsanity appearance is heavily based on that of CNK, but he has different colouring on his snout and the sacs on his head are now yellow.
His Nitro-Fueled appearance mostly returns to that of CTR, but his pupils are now red and the stripes on his snout are much more subtle.
(Earth's Champion is the character you choose to play as in CTR's adventure mode, meaning it could be one of the following characters: Crash Bandicoot, Neo Cortex, Tiny Tiger, Coco Bandicoot, N. Gin, Dingodile, Polar or Pura.) Nitros Oxide naturally has an intense rivalry with Earth's Champion as they race to prevent Oxide from completing his plan of global destruction. Oxide develops an intense hatred for Earth in general as a result of the Champion succeeding in defeating him, which briefly drives him away from the racing scene until he decides to get Velo involved for his revenge years later.
Zem and Zam
Zem and Zam are Nitros Oxide's henchmen, and are the other two primary members of Team Oxide alongside Oxide himself. Though Oxide seems to prefer to work alone, as seen in CTR and Crash Bash, he gets Zem and Zam to assist him in CNK, likely due to a racing team being required for those racing in the galaxy circuit. Zem and Zam are very loyal to Oxide when Oxide calls on them, and hold respect for him and his accomplishments, shown in the Nitro-Fueled comic.
Emperor Velo XXVII
Oxide is a member of Velo's imperial court and is also the leader of Team Oxide, which one of Velo's racing teams in CNK. Nitros Oxide happily races for Velo throughout CNK, and it's implied that Oxide informed Velo of Earth's racing talent in order to get revenge for his defeat in CTR. Velo seems close with Oxide, choosing to join Team Oxide when racing in his true form after being unlocked as playable. Oxide is also the one who invited Emperor Velo to join the race in Nitro-Fueled during the Gasmoxia Grand Prix.
- Crash Team Racing
- Crash Bash
- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (cameo)
- Crash Nitro Kart
- Crash Twinsanity (cameo)
- Crash Nitro Kart 2
- Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D
- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
See: Nitros Oxide/Gallery
- In Crash Team Racing, his name is Nitros Oxide, while in Crash Nitro Kart, his name is misspelled as Nitrous Oxide, with an extra 'u'.
- According to unused dialogue, Oxide is the reason why there's no life on Mars. He raced against the inhabitants of Mars before he raced Earth and Mars lost, leaving it as a desolate, barren planet.
- Oxide uses the weapons of the previous race bosses in CTR, except Ripper Roo's; (In the remake however he does use Ripper Roo's weapons) he uses Papu Papu's green and red beakers, Komodo Joe's TNT/Nitro Crates, and Pinstripe's Bombs (shot backwards). He shoots crates and beakers in pairs. His cheating personality shows when he starts moving before the signal.
- His name is a pun on nitrous oxide, which fittingly, is used as an oxidizer gas in Combustion Engine systems, resulting in sudden bursts of speed upon "Spraying". It is also known as "laughing gas" in medical application.
- If the player uses the CTR language glitch, his head is changed to Papu Papu's.
- Attacking Nitros Oxide in Crash Team Racing, whilst in Adventure mode, instead of his kart flipping like any other character's kart, will make him spin around in circles, but if he is hit with a bubble shield or with Aku Aku or Uka Uka (using cheats) or if a TNT crate explodes on him, he will bounce up and down.
- His theme when fighting him in Crash Bash is a mix of Dingodile's theme from Crash Bandicoot: Warped.
- Except by unlocking him with cheat codes in CTR, Oxide's victory podium animation is never seen in the game.
- If Oxide is unlocked via Gameshark code, the player will find that he has Uka Uka as his patron mask.
- Oxide was originally intended to be playable in Crash Team Racing but was ultimately scrapped due to technical limitations. Unused dialogue still remains from when he was intended to be playable.
- Oxide was originally another evil scientist with a more standard human appearance. During development, the story was that he was trying to make the world faster and faster until the end of time, because of his obsession with speed. While further details about the original story are scarce, an old comic suggests Oxide would use a machine called the X Device.
- During the introduction cutscene in the original version of CTR, Oxide claims that he will make the Earth's population his slaves, while in the Nitro-Fueled remake, he claims that he will make them his minions. The reason behind this is unknown.