Can you say "smithereens?" Even a simple touch will blow you away!Manual, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Nitro Crates are powerful, explosive crates, filled with nitroglycerin, seen in the Crash Bandicoot series.
These explosive crates are extremely sensitive and should not be touched under most conditions (even while in the ground) unless supplied with invincibility. These are the most dangerous Crates on the Crash series. In Crash of the Titans for the DS, they appear with only an "N" on them. In the GBA version of Crash of the Titans, they have a yellow explosion. To destroy them at the end of a level, Crash must press the Nitro Switch Crate, which instantly blows up all Nitros in the level—however, anything near them would not explode while unseen until The Wrath of Cortex.
In Cortex Strikes Back, Warped, The Wrath of Cortex, and Twinsanity, Nitro Crates occasionally hop up in the air making passing them more difficult. There is also a staircase of tougher Nitro Crates in Bee-Having that the player can touch without being harmed, which leads to a secret stage, containing the Purple Gem. Unlike normal Nitro Crates, these never explode as it would be impossible to enter the route without them. In the Crash 2 prototype, however, they will explode if the player body slams them, which will make it impossible to obtain the purple gem without restarting the level or killing themselves after they exploded.
If Crash touches them, they will explode and he will lose one of his masks or lose a life if he has none. If Crash does lose a life in this fashion in Cortex Strikes Back or Warped, he will be shown as an angel, except he will also be playing the didgeridoo. However, while underground, a grave will pop up.
In Crash Team Racing, Crash Nitro Kart, and the Nitro Fueled remaster of Crash Team Racing, they are one of the weapons available, as an upgraded TNT Crate for racers with a maximum of ten Wumpa Fruit. As usual, if it is hit, it explodes. The player loses three Wumpa Fruits as well. Any racer can get them at any time. Komodo Joe and Nitros Oxide also use them in boss challenges.
In Crash Twinsanity, players will still be blown up if Crash touches them, even if he has an Aku Aku mask. Nitro Crates will destroy enemies also if they're knocked them into them or if they run into them. The Nitro Crates in this game appear very different to the versions in the previous games.
Since their debut in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Nitro Crates have been in nearly every level of the platforming games.
- In Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, they appeared in every level except for The Pits, Totally Bear, and the Intro. However, in Turtle Woods, Hang Eight, and Road to Ruin, they didn't appear anywhere on the main path on the level, and are only found in secret areas of those levels.
- In Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, they appeared in exactly half of the levels. The levels that contain Nitro Crates are Bone Yard, Gee Wiz, Hang'em High, Dino Might!, Deep Trouble, Double Header, Sphynxinator, Future Frenzy, Tomb Wader, Gone Tomorrow, Flaming Passion, Bug Lite, Ski Crazed, Rings of Power, and Hot Coco. In Gone Tomorrow and Flaming Passion, the Nitro Crates only appear in the respective Bonus Rounds of those levels, where they must be shot with the Fruit Bazooka since there is no Nitro Switch Crate.
- In Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, they appeared in every level with the exception of Tornado Alley, That Sinking Feeling, Smokey and the Bandicoot, and Crashteroids.
- In Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure, they appeared in every level except for Jungle Jam, Shipwrecked, Temple of Boom, and Sunken City. Three of the four levels without nitro crates are the first three levels of the game.
- In Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced, they appeared in every level with the exception of Prints of Persia, Run from the Sun, and Water Logged. However, in Pharaoh's Funhouse, they did not appear on the main path on the level, and are only found in the gem shard path. Additionally, they appeared in the Evil Crunch boss fight.
- In Crash of the Titans for the GBA, they appear in almost every level.
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
- Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
- Crash Team Racing
- Crash Bash
- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
- Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure
- Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
- Crash Nitro Kart
- Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage
- Crash Twinsanity
- Crash Boom Bang!
- Crash of the Titans (Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance versions only)
- Crash: Mind Over Mutant (DS version only)
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
|! | ? | Activation | Aku Aku | Ammo | Arrow | Basic | Big TNT | Block | Bounce | Checkpoint | Copter | Cortex | Crash | Detonator | Freeze | Ghost | Infinity | Invisibility | Iron Arrow | Iron Checkpoint | Iron | Locked | Magic Carpet | Nina | Nitro | Nitro Switch | Pants | Slot | Spike | Time | TNT | World | X|
|Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku | Coco Bandicoot|
|Bosses||Dingodile | Doctor N. Gin | Tiny Tiger | Doctor Neo Cortex | Uka Uka | Mega-Mix|
|Items||Crates | Wumpa Fruit | Crystals | Gems|
First Chamber: Jungle Jam | Shipwrecked | Temple of Boom | Frostbite Cavern | Just in Slime
|Enemies||Electric Eel | Frog | Jellyfish | Lab Assistant | Moray Eel | Penguin | Polar Bear | Pufferfish | Rat | Scrubber | Seal | Shark | Sparky Tentaclebot Unit | Spike Lizard | Squid | Sewer Mech | Venus Fly Trap | Yeti|
|Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku|
|Antagonists||Doctor Nefarious Tropy | N. Trance | Uka Uka | Crunch Bandicoot (Under Hypnosis) | Coco Bandicoot (Under Hypnosis) | Fake Crash (Under Hypnosis)|
|Items||Crates | Wumpa Fruit | Crystals | Gems | Gem Shards | Super Slide | Rocket Jump | Death Tornado Spin | Crash Dash|
|Levels|| First Chamber: Island Intro | Prints of Persia | Lagoony Tunes | Globe Trottin' | Pharaoh's Funhouse | Runaway Rug|
Second Chamber: Tiki Torture | Hoppin' Coffins | Barrel Roll | Flockful of Seagulls | Magma Mania
|Enemies||Arsonist | Scarab |Crocodile | Lab Assistant | Monkey | Scorpion | Seagull | Shark | Snake|
|Crash Mind Over Mutant|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku | Coco Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot|
|Antagonists||Dr. N. Cortex | Dr. N. Brio | Dr. N. Gin | Nina Cortex | Uka Uka|
|Titans||Spike | Ratcicle | Magmadon | TK | Sludge | Rhinoroller | Scorporilla | Grimly | Battler | Stench | Yuktopus | Snipe | Titan Heroes|
|Items||TNT Crate | Basic Crate | Wumpa Fruit | Mojo | NV|
|Levels|| Console: Wumpa Island | Ratcicle Kingdom | Wasteland | Junkyard | Mount Grimly | Space Head|
DS: Crystal Mountains | Deserted Wasteland | N. Jin Labs
|Enemies||Ratnician | Brat Girl | Doom Monkey | Znu | Slap-E | Spike Crate|
|Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled|
|Racers|| Default: Crash Bandicoot | Doctor Neo Cortex | Tiny Tiger | Coco Bandicoot | Doctor N. Gin | Dingodile | Polar | Pura|
Unlockable (Bosses): Ripper Roo | Papu Papu | Komodo Joe | Pinstripe Potoroo | Nitros Oxide
Unlockable (Misc.): Penta Penguin | Fake Crash | Doctor Nefarious Tropy
Pit Stop Purchases: Crunch Bandicoot | Krunk | Small Norm | Big Norm | Nash | N. Trance | Real Velo | Geary | Zam | Zem
Bonus: Tawna | Ami | Megumi | Liz | Isabella | Baby Crash | Baby Coco | Baby T | Spyro | Hunter | Gnasty Gnorc | King Chicken
Grand Prix Limited: Nina Cortex | N. Brio | Komodo Moe | Pasadena O'Possum | Ebenezer Von Clutch | Koala Kong | Rilla Roo | Yaya Panda | Chick | Stew | Hasty
|Supporting characters||Aku Aku | Uka Uka | Sparx | Velo Mask|
|Customization||Skins | Bodies and Decals | Wheels | Paint Jobs | Stickers|
N. Sanity Beach: Crash Cove | Mystery Caves | Sewer Speedway | Roo's Tubes
|Battle Arenas|| Original: Skull Rock | Nitro Court | Parking Lot | Rocky Road | Lab Basement | Rampage Ruins | The North Bowl|
From Crash Nitro Kart: Temple Turmoil | Frozen Frenzy | Desert Storm | Magnetic Mayhem | Terra Drome
|Collectibles||Trophy | Crystal | Gem | Relic | CTR Token | Key | Wumpa Coin|
|Power Ups||Missile | Bowling Bomb | Warp Orb | TNT Crate/Nitro Crate | Power Shield | N. Tropy Clock | N. Brio's Beaker | Turbo | Invisibility | Super Engine | Invincibility Mask (Aku Aku/Uka Uka/Velo Mask/Sparx)|
|Misc.||Pit Stop | Grand Prix (Nitro Tour | Back N. Time | Spyro N. Friends | Spooky | Neon Circus | Winter Festival)|