Can you say "smithereens?" Even a simple touch will blow you away!Manual, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Nitro Crates are powerful, explosive crates, filled with nitroglycerin, seen in the Crash Bandicoot series.
The most dangerous crates in the Crash series, they should not be touched under most conditions unless supplied with invincibility. In Crash of the Titans for the DS, they appear with only an "N" on them, in the GBA version of the same game, they have a yellow explosion. To destroy them, Crash must press the Nitro Switch Crate at the end of the level, which instantly blows up all Nitros in the level—however, anything near their explosion would not be destroyed while unseen; until The Wrath of Cortex.
In Cortex Strikes Back, Warped, The Wrath of Cortex, and Twinsanity, Nitro Crates occasionally hop up in the air making them more difficult to pass. In Bee-Having, a staircase of harmless Nitro Crates lead to a secret stage, containing the Purple Gem. Unlike normal Nitro Crates, these never explode when touched. In the Crash 2 prototype, however, body slamming the crates causes them to explode, making it impossible to reach the secret stage without resetting or dying.
If Crash touches them, they will explode and he will lose a mask or a life if he has no masks left. If Crash does lose a life in Cortex Strikes Back or Warped, he will die and become an angel playing the didgeridoo. However, while traveling underground beneath the crates, Crash will be killed and a grave will pop up.
In Crash Team Racing, its Nitro-Fueled remake, and Crash Nitro Kart, they are available as weapon for racers with ten Wumpa Fruit, upgraded from TNT Crates. If hit, they explode and the player loses three Wumpa Fruits as well. Racers can get them from a ? Crate at any time. Komodo Joe and Nitros Oxide also use them in their boss races. In Nitro-Fueled, the Nitro Crate also appears as an alternate skin for the Iron Checkpoint Crate.
In Crash Twinsanity, Crash is still blown up if he touches them, even if he has an Aku Aku mask. Nitro Crates will also destroy enemies if they are ran or knocked into. The Nitro Crates in this game are different in appearance to versions seen in previous games.
Since their debut in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Nitro Crates have been in nearly every level of the platforming games.
- In Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, they appeared in every level except for The Pits, Totally Bear, and the Intro. However, in Turtle Woods, Hang Eight, and Road to Ruin, they didn't appear anywhere on the main path of the level, and are only found in those levels secret areas.
- In Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, they appear in exactly half of the levels. The levels that contain Nitro Crates are Bone Yard, Gee Wiz, Hang'em High, Dino Might!, Deep Trouble, Double Header, Sphynxinator, Future Frenzy, Tomb Wader, Gone Tomorrow, Flaming Passion, Bug Lite, Ski Crazed, Rings of Power, and Hot Coco. In Gone Tomorrow and Flaming Passion, the Nitro Crates only appear in the Bonus Rounds of those levels, where they must be shot with the Fruit Bazooka since there is no Nitro Switch Crate.
- In Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, they appeared in every level with the exception of Tornado Alley, That Sinking Feeling, Smokey and the Bandicoot, and Crashteroids.
- In Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure, they appeared in every level except for Jungle Jam, Shipwrecked, Temple of Boom, and Sunken City. Three of the four levels without nitro crates are the first three levels of the game.
- In Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced, they appeared in every level with the exception of Prints of Persia, Run from the Sun, and Water Logged. However, in Pharaoh's Funhouse, they do not appear on the main path on the level, and are only found in the gem shard path. Additionally, they appeared in the Evil Crunch boss fight.
- In Crash of the Titans for the GBA, they appear in almost every level.
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
- Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
- Crash Team Racing
- Crash Bash
- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
- Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure
- Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
- Crash Nitro Kart
- Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage
- Crash Twinsanity
- Crash Boom Bang!
- Crash of the Titans (Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance versions only)
- Crash: Mind Over Mutant (DS version only)
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
|! | ? | Activation | Aku Aku | Ammo | Arrow | Basic | Beenox | Big TNT | Block | Bounce | Checkpoint | Copter | Cortex | Crash | Detonator | Freeze | Infinity | Invisibility | Iron Arrow | Iron Checkpoint | Iron | Locked | Magic Carpet | Nina | Nitro | Nitro Switch | Outline | Pants | Slot | Spike | Time | TNT | World | X|
|Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku | Coco Bandicoot|
|Bosses||Dingodile | Doctor N. Gin | Tiny Tiger | Doctor Neo Cortex | Uka Uka | Mega-Mix|
|Items||Crates | Wumpa Fruit | Crystals | Gems|
First Chamber: Jungle Jam | Shipwrecked | Temple of Boom | Frostbite Cavern | Just in Slime
|Enemies||Electric Eel | Frog | Jellyfish | Lab Assistant | Moray Eel | Penguin | Polar Bear | Pufferfish | Rat | Scrubber | Seal | Shark | Sparky Tentaclebot Unit | Spike Lizard | Squid | Sewer Mech | Venus Fly Trap | Yeti|
|Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku|
|Antagonists||Doctor Nefarious Tropy | N. Trance | Uka Uka | Crunch Bandicoot (Under Hypnosis) | Coco Bandicoot (Under Hypnosis) | Fake Crash (Under Hypnosis)|
|Items||Crates | Wumpa Fruit | Crystals | Gems | Gem Shards | Super Slide | Rocket Jump | Death Tornado Spin | Crash Dash|
|Levels|| First Chamber: Island Intro | Prints of Persia | Lagoony Tunes | Globe Trottin' | Pharaoh's Funhouse | Runaway Rug|
Second Chamber: Tiki Torture | Hoppin' Coffins | Barrel Roll | Flockful of Seagulls | Magma Mania
|Enemies||Arsonist | Scarab |Crocodile | Lab Assistant | Monkey | Scorpion | Seagull | Shark | Snake|
|Crash Mind Over Mutant|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku | Coco Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot|
|Antagonists||Dr. N. Cortex | Dr. N. Brio | Dr. N. Gin | Nina Cortex | Uka Uka|
|Titans||Spike | Ratcicle | Magmadon | TK | Sludge | Rhinoroller | Scorporilla | Grimly | Battler | Stench | Yuktopus | Snipe | Titan Heroes|
|Items||TNT Crate | Basic Crate | Wumpa Fruit | Mojo | NV|
|Levels|| Console: Wumpa Island | Ratcicle Kingdom | Wasteland | Junkyard | Mount Grimly | Space Head|
DS: Crystal Mountains | Deserted Wasteland | N. Jin Labs
|Enemies||Ratnician | Brat Girl | Doom Monkey | Znu | Slap-E | Spike Crate|
|Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled|
|Racers|| Default: Crash Bandicoot | Dr. Neo Cortex | Tiny Tiger | Coco Bandicoot | Dr. N. Gin | Dingodile | Polar | Pura | Crunch Bandicoot | Geary|
Unlockable (Bosses): Ripper Roo | Papu Papu | Komodo Joe | Pinstripe | Nitros Oxide
Unlockable (Misc.): Penta Penguin | Fake Crash | Dr. N. Tropy | King Chicken | Iron Checkpoint Crate
Pit Stop Purchases: Krunk | Small Norm | Big Norm | Nash | N. Trance | Real Velo | Zam | Zem
Bonus: Tawna | Ami | Megumi | Liz | Isabella | Baby Crash | Baby Coco | Baby T | Spyro | Hunter | Gnasty Gnorc | Komodo Moe | Dr. N. Brio | Nina Cortex | Koala Kong | Pasadena O'Possum | Ebenezer Von Clutch | Rilla Roo | Yaya Panda | Hasty | Chick | Stew | Megamix | Emperor Velo XXVII | Lab Assistant | Baby Cortex | Baby N. Tropy | Fixed Rilla Roo
|Supporting characters||Aku Aku | Uka Uka | Sparx | Velo Mask | Apo-Apo|
|Customization||Skins | Bodies and Decals | Wheels | Paint Jobs | Stickers|
N. Sanity Beach: Crash Cove | Mystery Caves | Sewer Speedway | Roo's Tubes
|Battle Arenas|| Original: Skull Rock | Nitro Court | Parking Lot | Rocky Road | Lab Basement | Rampage Ruins | The North Bowl|
From Crash Nitro Kart: Temple Turmoil | Frozen Frenzy | Desert Storm | Magnetic Mayhem | Terra Drome
|Collectibles||Trophy | Crystal | Gem | Relic | CTR Token | Key | Wumpa Coin|
|Power Ups||Missile | Bowling Bomb | Warp Orb | TNT Crate/Nitro Crate | Power Shield | N. Tropy Clock | N. Brio's Beaker | Turbo | Invisibility | Super Engine | Invincibility Mask (Aku Aku/Uka Uka/Velo Mask/Sparx/Apo-Apo)|
|Misc.||Pit Stop | Grand Prix (Nitro Tour | Back N. Time | Spyro N. Friends | Spooky | Neon Circus | Winter Festival | Rustland | Gasmoxia)|