Destroy all bandicoots!N. Trance, Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
N. Trance is a pink egg-shaped outer dimensional being from the Fifth Dimension. He is the self-proclaimed "Master of Hypnotism," and has the ability to hypnotize people with his claw hand which resembles a stopwatch. This hand can additionally be fired off on a chain as a weapon, though it gets stuck easily, and the time spent reeling it back in leaves him vulnerable. He is also capable of generating energy beams from his eyes to attack and confuse his enemies. The long legs attached to his powered exoskeleton are highly extendable, allowing him to jump out of his foes' reach and stomp on them from above with the immense, crushing weight of his mechanical body. He has often brainwashed Crash's friends and enemies to aid a greater evil. His name is based on the verb "entrance," meaning "to put into a trance."
HistoryN. Tropy got him to help Uka Uka by brainwashing the bandicoots. Crash later made it to N. Tropy's secret base and defeated N. Trance with the help of Fake Crash. His boss fight is the fourth boss fight in the game and requires all 21 crystals to enter.
He was later seen in Crash Nitro Kart, racing for Emperor Velo XXVII. He runs his own team, composed of him and his brainwashed cohorts: Dingodile, Polar, and Pura. All of the brainwashed members of his team wear his helmets. He also appears to have two normal hands instead of one hand wielding his hypnosis ability.
N. Trance makes an appearance as a playable character in the game's multiplayer mode. He also makes a cameo in the game as a card.
N. Trance was originally going to appear in Crash Twinsanity with a slight cosmetic change. In the game, his brain was going to be eaten by Evil Crash resulting in him wearing a plaster over his right eye. Because the scene would've been too graphic, the idea was cut.
N. Trance reappears as a playable racer in Nitro-Fueled, retaining his status as an intermediate racer from Crash Nitro Kart. He was originally unlockable in the Pit Stop via the "Summer Time" Pack, but became sold separately as well after the Back N. Time Grand Prix update.
Driving Style: Acceleration
N. Trance is a smart, skilled hypnotist. Judging by some of his quotes in Crash Nitro Kart, he can be stubborn and, at times, hot-headed. N. Trance often enjoys making puns referring to eggs as evidenced in Crash Nitro Kart. He seems a little sadistic, enjoying taking over the minds of others and being eager to chase down opponents in his CNK voicelines. He can be a little cowardly at times, throwing his hands in the air wearing a shocked expression during high jumps in CNK and calling out for his mother out of fear in one of his voicelines.
In Nitro-Fueled, N. Trance is significantly more laid-back and mischievous, as indicated by the tone and accent of his voice in the game. He's also shown to like acting cool, as his standard victory animation has him making his suit play with his head and spinning it.
N. Trance is a pink egg-shaped creature. He has green eyes, with his left eye bulging much larger than the other (This was reduced in CNK, until his eyes were left even in Nitro-Fueled), and sharp, pointy fangs. Only in CNK, he has a small bump for a nose. His main feature is his robotic suit; a large, short metal cylinder with a depression in the top that his egg head rests in. The suit has a circle with a red and white swirl on it at the front, though the swirl was changed to orange and black as of CNK. His arms are gold, and in N-Tranced his left hand is a claw that conceals a pocket watch used for hypnosis, though this was replaced with a regular hand afterwards. His legs were dull blue in N-Tranced, purple in CNK and navy with gold highlights in Nitro-Fueled. He isn't physically attached to his suit as seen in Nitro-Fueled, which means the suit is likely controlled with his mind alone.
His physical size is largely inconsistent. In his first appearance, he was huge, being twice the size of Crash during his boss fight. In CNK he was shrunk a little to fit in his kart, though he was still relatively bigger than most other characters. In Nitro-Fueled he is much smaller than he has ever been, needing to stand up in his seat to drive, while in Crash Nitro Kart he was around the same size as Tiny Tiger on the victory podium.
N. Trance is introduced as an old friend of N. Tropy, with N. Tropy calling him to assist in defeating the bandicoots in N-Tranced. They're established as being colleagues and they both share the habit of constantly making puns. N. Tropy takes the lead throughout N-Tranced, reprimanding N. Trance for his failures and giving him orders.
N. Trance is the leader of one of Velo's racing teams in CNK, Team Trance, and is also a member of his imperial court. He isn't especially close with Velo, but seems to respect him as a leader, and is quite content with racing for him throughout CNK.
N. Trance kidnaps and hypnotises Coco, Crunch and Fake Crash under Uka Uka's orders, as part of their plan to defeat the bandicoots and complete their plan of universal domination in N-Tranced. After breaking out of their hypnosis, Coco, Crunch and Fake Crash assist Crash in defeating N. Trance, the former two being playable in some levels and Fake Crash assisting in the final boss. N. Trance has nothing personal with any of these three, hypnotising them under orders.
Crash and Aku Aku fight against N. Trance throughout N-Tranced. N. Trance grows a hatred for both of them for escaping his hypnosis and releasing Coco, Crunch and Fake Crash, and shouts that he will destroy all bandicoots in anger when they reach him. Crash and Aku Aku fight against N. Trance to release their family and stop his plan.
In CNK, N. Trance hypnotises these three in order to form his racing team, Team Trance. Given that they're under mind control for the entire game, their true opinions of N. Trance are unknown. N. Trance seems most fond of Dingodile out of all of them, standing Dingodile next to him on the podium in the intro, yet he seems to respect all three given he chose to hypnotise them out of everyone.
- Crash Nitro Kart
- "To the moon!"
- "Check this out!"
- "Look at me!"
- "I'm comin' to get you!"
- "Hold still, I want to try something!"
- "Run, run as fast as you can!"
- "There's no kart behind you, honest!"
- "You can't beat me!"
- "How 'bout an egg?"
- "Now it's my turn!"
- "One kart sunny side up!"
- "Bet you can't dodge this one!"
- "When did you learn to drive?"
- "Go home!"
- "Ain't this cool?"
- "Ha, I'm quicker than you!"
- "You must be yoking!"
- "I'm a tough egg to crack!"
- "I'm cookin' now!"
- "I'm a roll!"
- "Let's play hide and seek!"
- "I have a surprise for you!"
- "Couldn't put him together again!"
- "Scrambled again!"
- "Sunny side up!"
- "I won! I won!"
- "No! No! No!"
- "Why you!"
- "I'm leaking!"
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
- "Hmhmm, egg-cellent!" (When selected)
- "Nyeheheheh!" (When selected)
- "Faster!" (When boosting)
- "Look at meeeee!" (When boosting)
- "Yyeesss!" (When boosting)
- "To the moooooon!" (Doing a trick jump)
- "Whoa, check this out!" (Doing a trick jump)
- "Ha haaaaa!" (Doing a trick jump)
- "Ack!" (When hit)
- "Why you..." (When hit)
- "Ha ha ha, egg-scuse me!" (Hit while shielded)
- "Ha, HA!" (Hit while shielded)
- "*Crying* Mommy!" (Spinning out of control)
- "Nyeheheh!" (Using an item)
- "Hold still, I want to try something!" (Using an item)
- "How about an egg?" (Using an item)
- "Bet you can't dodge this one!" (Using an item)
- "Nyahahaha!" (Using an item)
- "I'm on a roll!" (Passing another racer)
- "You can't beat me!" (Passing another racer)
- "Oh, I'm cooking now!" (Passing another racer)
- "Grrooh! Egg-nore me now, please." (Unknown condition)
- "Neh neh nehneh neh!" (Race won)
- "Woohoo! I’m egg-static!" (Race won)
- "Noooo...I'm leaking!" (Race lost)
- "Ooh, you gotta be yoking!" (Race lost)
- Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
- Crash Nitro Kart
- Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage (playable in multiplayer mode)
- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
See: N. Trance/Gallery
- In N-Tranced, the boss fight against him shows him to be much larger than Crash and N. Tropy, but in the concept art of him in Twinsanity, he is very short. Also, he is shown to be a similar size to Crash and Cortex when he is seen inside his kart.
- This was very likely done on purpose since most racers of the Intermediate class in CNK are shown to be roughly the same size when they are seen inside their karts.
- In Crash Nitro Kart, N. Trance is the third tallest playable character, after Tiny and Dingodile. However N. Trance is still bigger than Dingodile, if counting the amount of space they take up. Also, whenever Dingodile is seen out of his kart, he is shown to be shorter than N. Trance, partly due to his podium model being undersized.
- N. Tropy appears to be taller than N. Trance in the games N. Trance appears in, but this only because of the hat N. Tropy wears on his head.
- In Crash Nitro Kart, N. Trance was given a nose. This nose was removed from his design in his appearance in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled despite otherwise being based on his design from CNK.
- He and his team, like N. Oxide's team, is protected by an Emperor Velo mask in CNK.
- Compared to his other victims, Dingodile underwent the most severe mental and physical changes after being brainwashed by N. Trance.
- N. Trance was originally going to wear a dark armored suit with a jet pack and equipped with laser cannons during the battle against Crash in N-Tranced. This was scrapped for unknown reasons.
- In CNK, he will raise his hands up into the air when he's jumping to a high place.
- His original design had a pipe coming out of his robotic body and into the back of his head. It is unknown what this pipe does.
- This pipe is not present in his CNK or Nitro-Fueled designs (though the latter design does include the pipe during his victory animation).
- His limbs are implied to be detachable, as his claw arm is switched out for a regular one in CNK and Nitro-Fueled.
- His arms are green in the GBA version of CNK.
- If N. Trance had appeared in Twinsanity, it would have conflicted with the story timeline, considering that Twinsanity chronologically happened before N-Tranced.
- He has sometimes been referred to by players as Doctor N. Trance, though he has never been shown to be one. However, Cortex Chaos would have depicted N. Trance as a doctor.
- N. Trance's clock hand in N-Tranced being attached to his arm by a chain is a nod to the cliché hypnotism method of dangling a stopwatch in front of someone's eyes and slowly swinging it from side to side as they watch intently.
- In the CNKs GBA version, Spyro races in the same kart as N. Trance's team, but is otherwise seemingly not associated with Trance himself.
- N. Trance's head briefly detaches from his body for some animations in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.
- One of N. Trance's quotes is "Couldn't put him together again!". This is a reference to the famous children's nursery rhyme "Humpty Dumpty".
- N. Trance is one of the only characters to have their name featured in a Crash game's title, in his debut game N-Tranced. The only other characters with this distinction are Crash, Cortex and Ripto.
|Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot | Aku Aku|
|Antagonists||Doctor Nefarious Tropy | N. Trance | Uka Uka | Crunch Bandicoot (Under Hypnosis) | Coco Bandicoot (Under Hypnosis) | Fake Crash (Under Hypnosis)|
|Items||Crates | Wumpa Fruit | Crystals | Gems | Gem Shards | Super Slide | Rocket Jump | Death Tornado Spin | Crash Dash|
|Levels|| First Chamber: Island Intro | Prints of Persia | Lagoony Tunes | Globe Trottin' | Pharaoh's Funhouse | Runaway Rug|
Second Chamber: Tiki Torture | Hoppin' Coffins | Barrel Roll | Flockful of Seagulls | Magma Mania
|Enemies||Arsonist | Scarab |Crocodile | Lab Assistant | Monkey | Scorpion | Seagull | Shark | Snake|