A scientist, are we? To me, you'll always be a little worm!Madame Amberly talking to Cortex, Crash Twinsanity
Madame Amberly is the overweight headmistress of the Academy of Evil. She teaches the students their evil ways and speaks with a thick German accent.
She makes her first appearance in Crash Twinsanity, in which Cortex unexpectedly meets her at the end of Rooftop Rampage and also has a small cameo appearance in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, in portraits hung around the manor in Nina's Nightmare.
Prior to Crash Twinsanity
It is shown that she was emotionally abusive to Cortex as a child in the dialogue before her boss fight. She insults him and is dismissive of his ambitions, and Cortex is clearly scared of her. Towards the end of her theme, which plays during this boss fight, there are sounds that sound like children whining, further pushing this and also implying she could have abused other children in the school as well as Cortex.
Cortex's niece, Nina Cortex, also attended the school. As Cortex and Crash go to bring Nina along with them to fix the Psychetron, Cortex unexpectedly reunites with Madame Amberly, in which after a short dialogue, initiates a boss fight. During the fight she berates and insults him whenever the player fails to hit her. After the fight, one last rope snaps off and Madame Amberly falls down into the mist with a high pitched screaming sound, presumably to her death.
Amberly has a brief verbal mention by Nina in Mind Over Mutant.
Madame Amberly has a cameo on the track Nina's Nightmare. She can be seen in portraits on the walls inside the mansion.
Madame Amberly is a domineering, evil woman, who controls her academy with an iron fist. She doesn't seem to genuinely care about any of her students, being cruel and abusive to them, rather than being the supportive, caring person a teacher should be. She seems to be quite egotistical, with rugs with her face embroidered on them seen around the school, and concept art showing giant statues of herself around the Academy.
Madame Amberly is very large in both weight and height, towering over Cortex and being unable to walk, needing ropes to suspend her in the air. She has dark brown hair pulled back into a tight bun, black eyes, long thin eyebrows in high arches, and pale skin. She wears makeup, with light blue eyeshadow and red lipstick. She wears a monocle on her left eye and has a large red A on her forehead, similarly to Cortex's N or Nina's n. She wears a short sleeved black dress and black elbow-length gloves. Her legs seem to be cybernetic. She wears a pearl necklace with a purple jewel pendant at the front, and pearl earrings. She has an odd piece of machinery attached to her back, which is seemingly some kind of life support system, as she screams in pain and takes damage when it is shot.
During his time at the academy, Amberly was downright abusive towards Cortex, doing nothing about his implied bullying and even joining in on it, bestowing the nickname "Crybaby Cortex" onto him. During her boss fight Cortex is clearly terrified of her, in fact she is one of only two individuals he fears with the other being Uka Uka. Cortex takes revenge on her as an adult during her boss fight in Twinsanity, which seemingly results in her death, a fact that Cortex shows no remorse about.
Nina was one of Amberly's students at the Academy of Evil. They didn't seem to have any conflict, with Nina not holding any contempt in her voice when mentioning her in Mind over Mutant.
- Madame Amberly is one of the three female bosses to ever be fought in the entire series, the others being Coco Bandicoot (under N. Trance's control in N-Tranced and under the control Of Cortex/Brio's NV Device in Crash: Mind Over Mutant) and Nina Cortex (Crash of the Titans).
- Madame Amberly, along with Cortex and Nina, share a similar trait by having a letter tattooed on their forehead. It is possible that everyone has a tattoo on their forehead in the Academy of Evil, as it is shown in a piece of concept art which shows students with letters tattooed on their forehead as well.
- Although other concept art also shows that N. Gin and N. Brio were students and they didn't (nor ever) get tattoos on their heads.
- Madame Amberly can be seen in her arena before her boss fight begins. While on the moving platform, if the player angles the camera downward, they will see her in a static T-pose.
- She is the only character in the entire series who has never met Crash in person.
|Cortex's mother | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Nefarious Tropy | Doctor Neo Cortex | Doctor Nitrus Brio | Ebenezer Von Clutch | Lab Assistant | Madame Amberly | Nina Cortex | Papu Papu | Park Drone | Shield Native | Tribesman|