Jaws of Darkness (しんでんの おくふかく lit. Deep into the Temple in Japanese) is the twenty-sixth level (including boss fights) and is the ninth level of the third island in Crash Bandicoot and the N. Sane Trilogy remake of the first game. The level takes place under Cortex Castle and is a major death-trap for trespassers trying to enter. It is the second and last ancient temple type of level. It is also the second and last stage in the game with a Cortex bonus round and key, which unlocks the secret level Fumbling in the Dark. The blue gem from Toxic Waste is required to clear this stage with its hidden clear gem. One of the Cortex bonus round tokens is in a hidden area, where platforms appear when Crash lands on the spot. Similar to in Temple Ruins and The High Road, a wumpa above a hole is a hint that there is a hidden path.
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- You've come to the temple again. The ancient cultures have left many secrets. Have you learned? If you lost your way, go where the apples lead to.
- In the prototype, there is no blue gem and the path that requires the blue gem is not there. This is because gems were not present in the prototype.
- This level has the most hidden boxes in the game.
- The Cortex Bonus Round of this level is one of two bonus rounds in the game, alongside the Tawna Bonus Round in The High Road, where it is impossible to break all the crates by normal means: Near the end of the round, a Basic Crate appears directly under a ! Crate once activated and therefore, not breakable without falling into the abyss.
- This is the only level in the game where the gem requires a colored gem from a previous level. In all other gem paths (except for the green gem path in Castle Machinery which isn't required for box completion), the required gem is in a later level, requiring the player to return to the level to go for the gem. It's most likely that Naughty Dog wanted all of the gem paths to be this way, but this one is different because Jaws of Darkness was moved from the second island to the third island.
- In the Japanese version, Road to Nowhere shares this property.
|Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy|
|DLC Content||Crash Bandicoot: Stormy Ascent|
Crash Bandicoot: Warped: Future Tense