The Iron Checkpoint Crate serves to provide the player a second chance on a gem path, death route, or other secret area, without forcing the player to obtain all of the crates on both the alternate path and standard level. They are found in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced, and the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy remake of the third game.
The crate itself functions no differently from a regular checkpoint crate. When the player comes into forceful contact with one, (via spinning, jumping, etc.) the word checkpoint will appear above the crate, providing an area to start back from when the player dies instead of having to return to the beginning of the level. The difference is though, like all iron crates, the crate cannot be busted by any means, and is not required to be when obtaining a clear gem.
When this crate is used, it reverts to a standard iron crate, whereas a used checkpoint crate will remain unfolded on the ground where it was struck. This allows the iron checkpoint crate to still be used as a platform, something the standard checkpoint crate lacks.
The crate itself appears as an unlockable racer in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, and can be unlocked by breaking all of the hidden Beenox Crates on every track, except for Retro Stadium. It uses the Drift driving style by default.
Driving Style: Drift
- Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
- Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (as an unlockable character)
- In Eruption Disruption, there is an iron checkpoint crate in a section that leads to that level's gem shard, but that section is required for box completion because it contains a copter crate, defeating the purpose of the checkpoint being iron. It appears that this was an oversight by the developers and that they had intended for that section to not be required for box completion.
- This is the only type of crate from Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped that didn't appear in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure. This crate would serve no purpose in The Wrath of Cortex as activatable iron crates, such as the ! Crate and Nitro Switch Crate, count towards a level's crate tally.
- In Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, the Iron Checkpoint Crate and King Chicken are the only characters capable of using all five invincibility masks, including Apo-Apo.
- In CTR Nitro-Fueled, the top surface of the crate is completely loose whilst in action.
- The Crate's inclusion in Nitro-Fueled is most likely a reference to an old joking Reddit post about the crate's inclusion.
|! | ? | Activation | Aku Aku | Ammo | Arrow | Basic | Beenox | Big TNT | Block | Bounce | Checkpoint | Coco | Copter | Cortex | Crash | Detonator | Freeze | Infinity | Invisibility | Iron Arrow | Iron Checkpoint | Iron | Locked | Magic Carpet | Nina | Nitro | Nitro Switch | Outline | Pants | Slot | Spike | Time | TNT | World | X|