Heavy Machinery (きかいか けいかく lit. Mechanization Plan in Japanese) is the eighteenth level (including boss fights) in Crash Bandicoot and the N. Sane Trilogy remaster of the first game and is the first level of Cortex Island, as well as the first level of the Cortex Power Refinery side. It features both a Tawna bonus round and an N. Brio bonus round. It has a secret area where Crash can jump down a gap guarded by two Spiked Saucers near the start of the level.
The level is a welcome start to the heavily industrialized Cortex Island compared to the other islands. As the name hints, Heavy Machinery is situated inside a large factory with many mechanisms such as boiling pipes (which can burn Crash) and cold pipes, conveyor belts, and spring platforms, overseen by various robots working for Cortex. One robot crawls along the floor while another spiked robot floats in the air. There are also Hologram Probes watching the bandicoot. Toxic waste can be seen in drain pipes on the wall in the background.
This corresponds to a save file at this level (45%, 0 keys, 6 gems).
This corresponds to a save file at this level (51%, 1 key, 8 gems).
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- At last, we have rushed into Cortex's headquarters from here on. You can't defeat the robots floating in the air that have spikes attached on them. Why can they possibly float in such weird place?
- This is the first level in the series to feature robots.
- During development of the game, this level was the first successful one with the second being Generator Room.
- In the prototype, Heavy Machinery is the second level of the third island instead of Cortex Power. Also, the hologram probes had not yet been finished and appear as floating orbs. They will still harm Crash if he touches them. The probes also appear like this in Generator Room.
- In the prototype, the gap that Crash can fall down into a hidden part of the level acts as a shortcut through the level. The shortcut takes Crash up to the point where he acquires the third Tawna bonus mug. The section where the third Tawna mug is located originally extended leftwards, containing steam vents and a pile of crates at the end, which where this Tawna mug was initially placed.
- In N. Sane Trilogy, the first checkpoint has been relocated to the bottom of the first platform drop & replaced with a ? Crate. Aso a new checkpoint has been put in at the top of the steps which leads to the 1st aku aku crate
- On the original version, the steam vent would use the "burn crash into ashes" death animation, in N. Sane Trilogy it's replaced with the angel death animation.
|Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy|
|DLC Content|| Crash Bandicoot: Stormy Ascent|
Crash Bandicoot: Warped: Future Tense