Crash and Burn is the twenty-first level and is the first level of the fifth warp room in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. This level is set on an island with an erupting volcano. The level's death route contains a red gem that unlocks the red gem path in Banzai Bonsai.
Names in Other Languages
|Hot Hot Volcano Island|
|Spanish||Crash a Fuego Lento||Slowly Burning Crash|
|French||Tout Feu Tout Flamme||All Fire All Flames|
|Dutch||Crash Verbrandt||Crash Burns|
|German||Crash und Feuer||(same as English)|
|Italian||Al Fuoco Al Fuoco||On Fire On Fire|
- This is the first level that was in development. Its design traces back all the way to the concept pitch made by Mark Cerny's team.
- The prototype version of the level was longer with a differing route, and had a more story influenced progression. Early storyboards and footage show Coco entering the level, only to get captured and held prisoner by gorilla tribesmen. Crash would then have to progress to the top of the volcano and face the tribe leader before Coco was sacrificed. Elements of the original pathway, as well as data for the tribe leader miniboss can still be found in the final game.
- The cave route has a face engraved into the wall which heavily resembles the gorilla tribe leader miniboss from the prototype.
- It's possible to see the Death Route entrance from the bridge when Crash enters the cave. Upon inspection, it is possible to see that there is a hole for the Death Route platform.
- A sinking ship was originally going to appear in the background of this stage, but was ultimately removed. However, the flames from the ship can still be seen through an Action Replay code.
- Elements of this level were used as influence for the volcano island levels of Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced.
- Although Py-Ro has been defeated in the third Warp Room's boss fight, he still causes the volcano eruption in this level.
- Near the end of the level, the flaming rocks spat by the volcano do no damage when touched. The volcano does damage only if Crash stands directly on it.