Bye Bye Blimps (コルテックスの ひこうせん lit. Cortex's Blimps in Japanese) is the seventeenth level and is the second level of the fourth warp room in Crash Bandicoot: Warped and its remake in the N. Sane Trilogy.
The levels name is a reference to the stage production "Bye Bye Birdie".
Set in World War I, this level finds Coco having to shoot down seven of Cortex's blimps in her biplane. It's the first level in the Crash series to use the biplane. Shooting crates gives wumpa fruit or lives, depending on the crate shot. After the crate is shot, the balloon floats away. To get the gem, Coco must shoot all crates.
If players shoot a balloon, the crate will quickly fall from the sky. White balloons with a red cross yield more health. The only purpose for smashing the yellow balloons is to break the attached crate. Additionally, the stopwatch used to begin the time trial is attached to a red balloon.
In a later update applied to the N. Sane Trilogy, this level is no longer exclusive to Coco. Crash can instead partipate in this level using his biplane instead.
Types of Crates
- Blimps: 7
- Aku Aku is banned from this level. That is, even if the player enters the level with an Aku Aku mask, the player loses the mask. This is because a single hit does not kill Coco in this level, so Aku Aku's purpose would not make sense.
- Bye Bye Blimps doesn't feature a floating box counter at the end of the level, as there is no exit to the leve. When Crash or Coco break all the boxes, the gem is instantly awarded to them.
- The plane Lab Assistant enemies in the plane levels only shoot at you if you are facing them.
- Early footage show that this level used to have Crash instead of Coco as the playable character. It's very likely that she wasn't always intended to fly a plane like Crash, especially since this is the only level where she does so. In a later update to the N. Sane Trilogy it is now possible to enter this level as Crash.
- Players can start a new game with every powerup available immediately from this level. On the title screen, if the player holds the triangle button as the third demo loads, the player will be able to assume control of Coco in the demo. If the player then pauses the game at this point and chooses to return to the Warp Room, they will start a new game with all of Crash's powers.
- The rapid gunfire runs faster in the PAL version.