Banzai Bonsai (にんじゃやしきで ござる lit. It's the Ninja Mansion in Japanese) is the eighth level in the game and the third level of the second warp room in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. It is the first Japanese-styled level in the game and the first level where the player plays as Coco. It is also possible to get the super belly flop through this level's red gem path.
- This is Coco's third oriental-related level in the series, following Orient Express and Midnight Run from the previous game.
- This is the first level of the game and the series that is based on Ancient Japan.
- All PS2 versions have Coco's shadow projecting through the thin paper walls after the second checkpoint.
- This is the first of two levels in the game where Coco is controlled on foot for its entirety, the other being Knight Time.
- Originally, a flamingo was going to appear in the beginning of the level. Instead, it was replaced with a crane wearing oriental clothing. The flamingo supposedly attacked the same way, but it was likely removed because it didn't suit the oriental theme.
- The game's box claims that this level is "the first time Coco is playable on foot." This is not true however, as she is playable on foot in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped before she rides on Pura, and she is playable on foot in Crash Bash in the Warp Room and during the Crate Crush mini-games.
- This is the only non-boss level in the series where a super power is obtained. All other super powers are obtained by completing a boss fight. It also does not increase the game completion percentage.
- In the middle of the level on the paper walls, the words "Crash Bandicoot" in Japanese are written on them.
- In the original PS2 version, this level had 152 crates. In later versions, a TNT crate and a basic crate were added just before the crystal. In the bonus, the TNT crate was replaced by an iron arrow crate, decreasing the total to 32. The last seems to be a nitro crate on the gem path, totaling 154 on this level.
- The PS2 NTSC Greatest Hits and NTSC-J versions have a total of 165 crates with the same changes, but there is apparently more crates in the red gem path.