Air Crash (ぶっとび サーフィン lit. Surprising Surfing in Japanese) is the seventh level in the game and the second level of the second warp room in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy remake of the second game. Like Hang Eight in the previous warp room, it is a stream based level in which Crash gets to ride his jet board. Breaking all the crates and obtaining the clear gem for doing so is only possible by discovering the secret entrance for this level from the secret warp in Bear Down, as not only does it contain several normal crates but also the nitro switch crate in the level. The other clear gem is found in the death route, the first of the game (and the series). This level also contains a secret exit of its own - skip the first jet board part and instead, have Crash jump across the floating crates until he reaches a stone platform. This platform will warp him to the secret warp room, where the portal to the secret area of Snow Go will be unlocked.
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- If you come here with no miss, a secret footing will appear.
- This level holds the distinction for having the most secrets/different routes (death route, secret entrance and secret platform to Snow Go). This is the only level in the series to contain 3 or more exits, as it contains 3 exits (normal, death route, warp to Snow Go).
- On the original PlayStation version, this level is the only one in the game that cannot be fully completed (i.e. retrieve the Crystal and Gems in one go) in its first visit through normal yet sequence-breaking means.
- Originally, this level was only going to contain one gem.
- This level, Piston It Away and Spaced Out are the only levels in this game with an alternate route that leads to an exit back to the main warp room.
- According to leftover code in the game's files, the Death Route was initially going to lead back to the main path.
- It is one of three levels in Cortex Strikes Back which has more than 100 boxes. In this case it's 102. The others being Snow Biz (124 boxes — 125 in N. Sane Trilogy) and the record-breaking Cold Hard Crash (155 boxes).
- It's possible for Crash to break boxes on platforms while he's riding the jet board if he touches a mine and has an Aku Aku mask.
|Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy|
|DLC Content||Crash Bandicoot: Stormy Ascent|
Crash Bandicoot: Warped: Future Tense